Slow Roasted Pork Shoulder with “Mole Broth” & Tortilla Flan
Amount Ingredients 3 # Bone in pork shoulder 1 ea Onion, chopped 4 ea Garlic cloves 2 ea Ancho peppers, soaked for 30 min in warm water, stemmed and seeded 1 tbsp Black peppercorns ½ ea Vanilla bean, split and scraped 4 sprigs Thyme 4 sprigs Marjoram 1 ea Carrot, chopped 1 ea Celery stalk, chopped 3 qts Chicken Stock ¼ bunch Cilantro, chopped ½ cup Almonds To taste Salt and pepper
Method: 1. In a blender combine onion, garlic, drained ancho peppers, black peppercorns, carrot, celery and blend together using the stock to help blend this smooth.
2. Season pork with salt and pepper, in a hot pan over high heat sear the meat until deep golden brown. Remove and turn flame down to medium heat.
3. Add blended liquid and remaining stock, vanilla bean to the searing pan, bring to a boil, and reduce heat to a simmer for 30 minutes. Add herbs and seared pork, cover and place in a 325°F oven for 3 hours.
4. Add the almonds and cilantro and return to the oven for approx. 1 more hour. Pork should be tender. Remove from pan, reduce sauce if necessary, adjust seasoning, strain and serve over the pork.
Tortilla Flan 1 bag Corn tortilla chips, plain 3 ea Poblano peppers, charred over an open flame, peeled 10 oz Tomatillos 2 ea Garlic cloves 1 bunch Cilantro 4 ea Eggs 1 qt Heavy cream 2 cups Mild cheddar cheese shredded To taste Salt and pepper As needed Vegetable spray
Method: 1. In a blender puree peppers, tomatillos, garlic cloves, cilantro, eggs and cream until smooth. Season.
2. Pour over chips and mix together well.
3. In an oven proof pan, spray with vegetable spray. Add layers of chips and cheese until pan is full. This mixture should be wet, pour over additional cream mixture to ensure. Set aside covered for 40 minutes at room temperature.
4. After 40 minutes check to see if the mixture is dry, add additional cream mixture as necessary. Cover and bake in a 325°F for approx. 30-40 minutes until set.
To plate: Cut or scoop out a portion of the tortilla flan, top with pork and sauce. Garnish with fresh cilantro and toasted almonds